- 3 tsp of active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp of honey or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) of melted butter
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1+1/4 cup of water, better if bottled
- Preheat the oven and let it cool down until it is warm, around 85°F.
- Reheat milk and add honey or sugar in a large bowl.
- Add thee yeast and mix, let rise for 10 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface
- Add flour, butter and salt.
- Add water bit by bit while mixing with a wooden spoon. Keep mixing until everything comes together, it should not stick to the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel, leave a small hole for breathing. Let rise for 2 hours in the oven at 85°F, or until it has doubled in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Knead for a few minutes until smooth, form 2 to 4 dough balls.
- Massage the loaves with olive oil and put them on a baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Make 2 or 3 deep slashes on the top of each loaf, and sprinkle with flour.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown at 400°F.
- Stop the oven, open the door and keep the bread inside for 5 more minutes. Then remove the loaves and let them cool down.
To try next time
- Boil three cups of water and put it in a roasting pan under the loaves when baking
- Bake longer (20 mins ?) or higher (450°F?)
- Grease the loaves before rising.
Read other posts